Re: Great Siberian Explosion

Hello Dona:
I also saw the program, but only part of it (darn!).  I too found it
interesting that the "comet" caused mutations in the plant life.
It is possible that the process by which life forms may have been accelerated
by cometary collisions.  By way of the Murchison meteorite (a possible chunk
of a comet), scientists theorize that water and amino acids were delivered to
earth by comets (read G. Shanos' article on Murchison in the current issue of
Meteorite!).  Now I can't recall the specifics, but I believe a study by
Miller and Urey (UCLA?) created "life" by interacting an electrical charge
with the amino acids in a lab.  This is the basis of the "primordial soup",
out of which life crawled, wherelightening was the electrical charge.  Maybe
some of our biologists can shed way more light than I can.....

Matt Morgan

--
Matt Morgan
Mile High Meteorites