H. C. Urey's work

Hello All,

Herald Urey was one of the pioneers of meteorite research using both
advanced chemical analysis, as well as exceptional insight. Although in the
end, some of his theories were abandon by most scientists for more
supported ideas, Urey is one of the pillars in meteorite research to which
much of our current understanding has evolved.

Here is an excerpt discussing the work done in H. C. Urey's lab:

"In 1953, Stanley L. Miller, one of Urey's students at the University of
Chicago, had synthesized in the laboratory several complex hydrocarbons,
including amino acids, by means of an electrical discharge in a mixture of
hydrogen, water vapor, methane, and ammonia. Urey, in fact, had proposed
the occurrence of such an abiogenic process in the primordial nebula to
account for the presence of organic compounds in meteorites."

--page 313, Cosmic Debris: Meteorites in History by John G. Burke (1986)

And one from Bob Dylan:
"Mothers and fathers throughout the land, don't criticize what you don't
understandŠ
The times they are a changing."

Also, Joseph wrote:
"Of interest to me was the revelation that there was a L-isomer biase in
the amino acid make-up of the Murchison."

I agree Joseph. It seems the L-isomer biase may be a fingerprint for life
as we know it. Or maybe, life is as we know it.

-Martin

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: