Re: Dinosaur Extinction: Impact vs Volcanoes

Determining extinction from evolution in the fossil record is difficult
to say the least. In the case of the late cretaceous, we see rapid
speciation, and the rise of new groups of vertebrates.

For example, Mosasaurs are marine lizards related most closely to
snakes, and monitor lizards. In the last 20 million years of the
cretaceous these lizards originated, and divided into roughly 4 families
with numerous species originating as well. As suddenly as they appear,
they disappear at the K/T boundary.

Although dinosaurs are the most recognized of the animals suffering
extinction, they make poor models of what exactly happens during an
extinction. They are sporadically preserved, and there simply is not
enough material to actually use to theorize with. It is hard to say what
was happening in their evolutionary history at this point in time,
although there are those who think they can.

Now, what am I talking about? In the latest cretaceous, some animals
show a decline, while others show expansion. This leads to the conundrum
of what is exactly happening. Can we have decline and diversification at
the same time? The answer is yes.

The nature of the fossil record( this is my area of study for those
interested) is based wholly on presentational bias. In the case of the
dinosaurs, they are terrestrial dwelling animals, and therefore are less
likely to be preserved. This is because conditions do not favor
preservation on land, as think about an animal dying in a forest, does
it get covered quickly enough to be preserved? Probably not.
However, In the marine environment, constant detritus and the likes are
perpetually raining down on the sea floor. This tends to cover animals
quickly, thereby preserving their skeletons.

So to think about it more clearly, if it was not preserved, does not
mean that it was not there. Extinction is best gauged by marine species
decline and disappearance. In the latest cretaceous most marine species
were doing fine, then suddenly gone. This is how we know there was an
extinction.

Now about the volcanic hypothesis, and dinosaur relation. This idea is
most likely wrong. As stated above dinosaurs are preserved sporadically,
and therefore have a bias in the fossil record. If this gradual decrease
is apparent in the marine record, then we would have to rethink the
impact theory.
As for dinosaurs, it seems as though they went on diversifying until the
end, and the environments which best preserved their skeletons were not
as common.

Did an impact do in the species that went extinct at the end of the
cretaceous? I don't know. I have my doubts based on the fossil record.
However, I tend to steer clear of this debate, as I am not thrilled
about rehashing same data sets, and ideas.

Could a volcano form tektites? I don't' know. People have discussed this
before, and say no. About all I can say bout it is, it  would seem hard
to get shocked quartz from a volcanic explosion. If a mechanism can be
shown to generate shocked quartz in a volcano, then we might have an
answer.