Dinosaur Extinction: Impact vs Volcanoes--Shocked Quartz in Volcanics

Shocked quartz, even "coesite," have been reported in volcanic rocks.  I
will dig out the references.  One I am sure of was the late Harvard
geologist William Bucher's 1960s in-depth paper which challenges the
idea that some cryptoexplosion structures (as they were called back
then) are impact craters.  He apparently hunted for--and
found!--examples of shatter cones, shocked quartz, even coesite, derived
from explosive volcanoes.

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: