Re: Meteorite hunting

>Steve,
>
>I am a 52 year old consulting engineer who has developed an interest in
>meteorite hunting for profit.  I personally would like to go on 1 to 2 month
>excursions within the continental US.  I desire funding for such an effort
>(not much money needed - subsistance really), basically to be hunting for
>meteorites for a third party who would be willing to finance such a venture.
>How does one go about such an endeavor?

Gee, wish I could do the same...

I have a demonstrated ability to find meteorites and have approached
some of the major retail meteorite dealers with such a proposition.

Nada...

In fact, with Glorieta I offered to "wholesale" to them all that I found.

Instead, they tried to edge in on me on that, telling me that my asking
price was too high.

Okay, they can find them themselves-- let's see where the prices will go
then.

Anyway, that is a whole other issue.

The fact is that I know of no dealers, or institutions that will "grubstake"
such a venture.

Without being too sarcastic, if you find one, let me know-- I have been
looking for over 20 years.

>I assume there are many ethical hurdles that may trouble some people, but I
>would be willing to meet reasonable demands for job performance assurance
>and I do not desire to keep the meteorites myself.  I found oil and gas for
>Conoco for years, uranium for URI, Inc. for years, and never did I rip off
>either of the companies.
>
>I am geared for this type of work.  I have a large motor home, four wheel
>drive vehicles, metal detectors, and I love the outdoors (ex-Marine).
>
>I would appreciate any assistance you can give me.  I am not a nut, just an
>aging professional engineer who wants to change his lifestyle without going
>to Borneo.
>

>Jim Tarleton
>2205 Bird Island Drive
>Corpus Christi, Texas  78418