Re: big meteor of 94

Calvin Shipbaugh schrieb:

> The only thing I've heard about the recent Greenland meteoroid is that
> it was *not* from beyond the solar system as was speculated early-on.

Hello Calvin and List,

Scientific American, November 1998, pp. 44-51:

The Search for Greenland’s Mysterious Meteor (by W.W. Gibbs, senior
writer)

Excerpt:

A month later, in early September, Pedersen began to suspect that
perhaps neither of these outlandish explanations was necessary, because
perhaps they had been wrong about the speed all along. He had just
received a new digital copy of the video. It was much clearer than the
first, so clear in fact that he could precisely match frames in the tape
to blips in the satellite record. With this new calibration, Pedersen
painstakingly recalculated the fireball's path and arrived at a much
different answer than Ceplecha had: a speed of 29 kilometers per
second, not 56; an origin safely within the solar system, not beyond it.

Best regards,

Bernd

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: