Re: C.T. Perry (fwd)

Art Jones schrieb:

> I have a coarse octahedrite, canyon diablo in my collection which
> according to the certificate of authenticity was collected by C.T.
> Perry between 1894-1899.
> Can anybody give me a short bio of Mr. Perry. I have only been
> collecting meteorites for a couple of years and I was told he was very
> well known in the meteorite fraternity. However there is nothing in my
> library that references him. Many thanks in advance. jim edinburgh

Hello Art, Jim, and List,

I couldn't find a C.T. Perry either. Instead I found a Stuart H. Perry -
perhaps a close relative or the former's son?

BURKE J.G. (1986) Cosmic Debris, Meteorites in History, p. 250, excerpt:

The culmination of these early twentieth-century studies of the
structure of meteoritic irons, and in particular of the Widmanstätten
pattern, came in 1944 with the work of Stuart H. Perry, a newspaper
publisher, meteorite collector, and metallurgist whose studies were
encouraged by Edward P. Henderson of the Smithsonian Institution. Perry
gave cogent reasons why the supposed eutectoid did not exist, and he
presented a new equilibrium diagram that was fairly accurate and that
consisted of a composite of the recent experimental work of several
investigators. Perry stressed that the low-temperature transformation
values were conjectural and required revision, that increasing
phosphorus content depressed the gamma-alpha transformation, and that
"meteoritic structures generally were produced by extremely slow
cooling." Perry included a large number of good photomicrographs of the
structures and constituents of meteoritic irons, and although some of
his interpretations were incorrect, they represented a systematic study
that was of considerable value to later scientists.  After 1950, the
major areas of investigation were those stressed by Perry: the nickel
content at low-temperature transformation; the role of phosphorus; and
the rate of cooling necessary to produce the true Widmanstätten
structure of meteoritic irons.  From the cooling rate, in particular,
scientists could infer the size of the parent body from which the
meteorite had come.

MARVIN U.B. (1993) The Meteoritical Society 1933 to 1993 (Meteoritics
28-3, 1993, 261-314, Appendix A. Officers and Councillors of the
Meteoritical Society):

1941-1946: Stuart H. Perry - councillor
1946-1950: Stuart H. Perry - councillor
1950-1954: Stuart H. Perry - vice-president
1954-1958: Stuart H. Perry - vice-president

Best wishes,

Bernd

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: