UNSUBSCRIBE

-- BEGIN included message

Discovery Channel Online, April 4, 1999 - King Tut Mystery Solved (By
Rossella Lorenzi, Discovery Online News):

> "Its origin is probably celestial, caused by the impact on the sand
> of a chondritic meteorite or comet," says De Michele. "The glass is
> scattered over a 15-mile diameter area, but unfortunately, no crater
> has been found yet."
> James R. Underwood Jr., professor emeritus of geology at Kansas State
> University, says there might not be a crater. "It could have been
> produced by a low-altitude explosion of an asteroid or comet. The
> searing heat from the explosion may have melted surficial material
> that then cooled quickly to form the glass," he explains.

WASSON J.T. et al. (1998)Possible Formation Of Libyan Desert Glass By A
Tunguska-Like Aerial Burst (Meteoritics 33-4, 1998, A163, excerpts):

Libyan Desert glass (LDG) consisting of samples ranging in size up
to 22 kg is found in a region with dimensions of about 50 km E-W and
130 km north-south in the Western Desert of Egypt. The process that
formed these high (980 mg/g) SiO2 glassy objects is poorly understood.
Although most past researchers have attributed LDG to formation during
a cratering event, there remains serious doubt that impact cratering
can create such clast-free materials. We suggest that an aerial burst,
similar to Tunguska but about 10^4 x larger, may have been responsible.

Best Easter wishes,

Bernd

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: