Re: Fw: Meteorite "worth"

In a message dated 4/4/99 7:17:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Geoffcin@aol.com
writes:

<<
 Your kidding, toy trains for 100,000?!  I think we should have federal
 regulation on this.  Just think of all the poor kids deprived of trains
 because of the greedy train dealers.
  For me, I'll take my chances with the DaG262. Oh just how big is that piece
 anyway?

 Regards,
 Geoff Cintron >>

Hello Geoff and List,

Great point about the trains and kids, Geoff!  As prices of meteorites go up
(IF they go up), the more people will go hunt and find them (i.e., Saharan
Hunters) and thus the supply for low end meteorites will go up and will fill
the demand at lower market prices.

I think one of the greatest things about our field of collecting is that
meteorites can be cut or broken into many pieces for wide distribution.  At
least if you have a 100g piece of Nakhla and NASA so graciously gives you
some great help on increasing Nakhla's value (Extraterrestrial fossils in it)
you can break it down and trade or sell off part of it!  You can't do that
with Rare Coins, Baseball cards, Rembrandt Paintings, '57 Chevy's or Indian
Artifacts, but with meteorites you can.

If prices of Nakhla double, yes, you as a new collector can only buy 1/2 as
much with your allowance this week, but hey at least there are always ways to
help keep the price of it in range for the little guys.  The DaG262 is a
great example of that.  It is probably the most expensive meteorite that has
actually been sold to quite a few people.  There have been items like the
Calcalong Creek that had a "asking price" that was higher than what "the
market" wanted to pay, so it sat for years with the owner/dealer.  Even
though the DaG262 is expensive, many guys on this list who consider
themselves "little guys" were able to get some, and most have been very happy
with what they have.

Oh, Geoff; in answer to your question the DaG262 at Christie's is a 0.7g end
piece that has 3rd party paper work fully documenting that this actual piece
is of Lunar origin.  The reserve has been set quite low, so Geoff, if you or
anyone else want a bargain, feel free to contact Christie's South Kensington,
London, for a catalog and bidding information.  I suspect that even a bargain
price sale will still set a Guiness Book of World Record for the most
expensive (per gram) meteorite ever sold at public auction.  Geoff, if you
want your name left out of next years edition of the Record Book, I expect
Christie's will keep your name confidential if you are the high bidder and
request anonymity.  I know how you like to keep a low profile!  :-)

Steve Arnold
www.meteoritebroker.com

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: