RE: FW: Possible April Fireballs - Keep an eye out

Stu, GeoZay and List

Oops! Should've read through it a little better before I forwarded it to
the list. Happens when you get a backlog after a few days...

Cheers,
Don Fougere
Cold Lake Alberta
"Land of Milk, Meteorites and Honey"
(780) 594-1438
meteorite@telusplanet.net

On Sunday, April 04, 1999 3:19 PM, GeoZay@aol.com [SMTP:GeoZay@aol.com] wrote:

> <<
>  Don't know about fireballs which "have no radiant", and the bit about
> several
>  of the meteors known to have fallen to the ground as meteorites is news to
>  me!!!! But late every April there's a meteor shower called the Lyrids...?<<
>
> Sounds a little suspicious to me to. But the Spring months are known for a
> higher number of meteorite dropping fireballs from sporadic activity mainly
> due to favorable circumstances of the antapex. Other than this, there doesn't
> sound like anything special going on in reference to an unknown fireball type
> radiant.
>
>  >>The shower lasts from  the 19th to the 25th, the 21st is the night of the
>  "peak". Lyrids are typically quite faint, but occasionally one will be
> bright
>  enough  to leave a trail in the sky. Lyrids are few and  far between,
>  compared to the meteors of other showers, and the  statistics say that if
> the
>  sky is clear you'll probably have to wait  five minutes or so between
>  shooting stars. That means more like *ten*,  here in the real world... :-)
>   >>

> This years Lyrids will be peaking during the morning of April 22 at 16 hr UT.
> The lyrids are typically quite faint with a population index of 2.9 with an
> occasional fireball mixed in. The Lyrids have a peak ZHR of 15, so seeing
> about 10 per hour would be about right. Not a barnstormer usually.
> GeoZay

> Archives located at:
> http://www.meteoritecentral.com/list_best.html
>
> For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: