Re: Mars again

Thank you Ron for the info.

I am scratching my head over one issue, however.  With the recent contention that
some Martian meteorites could contain traces of extraterrestrial bacteria, let's
say you are  a scientist devoting your entire  life on finding traces of life in
meteorites, wouldn't you want to examine the entire rock?  Would one piece of the
rock really suffice?

Ron Baalke a écrit :

> >Is it still possible to see a marsian meteorite fall in our time?
>
> Not only it is possible, it has already been done.  The following Mars
> meteorites were witnessed falls:
>
>  o Chassigny in 1815
>  o Shergotty in 1865
>  o Nakhla in 1911
>  o Zagami in 1962
>
> >If
> >yes, could it be the result of a relatively recent impact on Mars?
>
> Not necessarily.  Most meteorites are in space for millions of
> years before they impact Earth, including the Mars meteorites.
>
> >Also,  what would be its approximate worth, by the gram?
>
> Depends on the which type of Mars meteorite it is.  Current prices
> ranges from about $750/gram (Zagami) to about $50,000/gram (Chassigny).
> These are the current price ranges. If a 2-ton Mars meteorite was found, then
> the prices would drop.
>
> >If it fell in
> >the hands of a private collector/hunter, what would happen  in terms of
> >its ownership,
>
> Ownership laws varies from country to country.  It may or may not
> belong to the finder depending on where the meteorite was found.
>
> >in other words, would there be significant pressure from
> >the scientific community to get it in its entirety?
>
> Depends on the size of the meteorite.  Generally, only a small portion of
> the meteorite is required for scientific analysis, which isn't a problem
> unless the meteorite is small to begin with.  To be positively identified
> as a Mars meteorite does require lab analysis from a reputable lab anyway.
> Also, additional scientific data
> can be collected without sacrificing the meteorite, such as
> photos of the entire meteorite from different camera
> angles to record fusion crust and flight markings.  If there is a strewn
> field, then recording the weight and location of each fragment is important.
>
> It should be pointed out the last two Mars meteorites were found and
> are currently owned by private individuals.
>
> Ron Baalke

> Archives located at:
> http://www.meteoritecentral.com/list_best.html
>
> For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: