Re: Fw: Meteorite "worth"

>Stuart, Steve,Gregory, JJ, etc.
>	The human body is said to be "worth" $1.97 (misc. chemicals).
>	"Debating" who is "right" or "wrong" is futile - apples, oranges, etc.
>One "argument" is as "valid" as the next. It seems to me y'all ar
>engaged in a sophmoric argument centered on semantics, but, if it
>tickles you, go for it, I can always delete.
>	Best wishes, Michael

Michael,

It is far from a "sophmoric argument."

The philosophy of how and why the value of things are determined, and
arrived at is a subject that has earned many a PhD.

And it is a subject that I have over the years given a great deal of
consideration.

You say rather tritely that the human body is worth $1.97, various
chemicals and what not.  But from the very dawn of civilization,
an equal weight of those substances, (about a pound and a half) of
gold has been valued many times that.

Maybe that explains why so many wars, so many expeditions, so many
adventures, and so many stories have been told about gold.

We human beings value things in ways that set us apart from all
other lifeforms in this creation.  And I think that is one of the
factors that defines us a human beings.

So, without being too argumentitive, discussing worth of things,
meteorites included, the subject is a very important issue, as it
touches upon the very motives that drive us as collectors to amass
these and other things.

Steve Schoner
AMS

Archives located at: