Re:Meteorite "worth"

I've really tried to stay out of this ... REALLY I have.
But here goes.

If a Beanie Baby, a gold nugget, and a meteorite of particularly nice quality were
lying on the sidewalk ... remember that phase of the discussion?

Well, what was chosen for pick-up would depend on certain conditions, and on who
was doing the picking!

Is the sun making the nugget shiny as it peaks through raw stone? Increase its
desirability to those untoutored with the appearance of raw stone!

Is the meteorite cut and lying pretty side up? Increase its desirability! Unless of
course the "picker" is someone who prefers uncut, and/or who has a child with them,
or, or, or...
And if the meteorite is quite large, and uncut, then chances are no one but a
meteorite enthusiast would do more than walk around it muttering at the nuisance
... well, unless they were building a city rock garden and had no farmers with rock
piles nearby.

This is and always will be subjective. I think that the idea that we will be able
to legislate or control price rises is absurdly naive ... countries control world
markets, trade, export, etc .  ... Most of us are lucky to control our own little
niche of the much larger picture.

Basically, what a meteorite is "worth" depends on the eye of the beholder.
At what price it is "valued" depends on the individual dealer, and generally they
will look at the going rate based on rarity, from what I've seen. Fluctuations?
Sure! A fall here, a fall there ... prices will change, interest in a piece will
change. But I do think that it becomes apples and oranges to some extent ...
perceived "worth" is ONE factor that will necessarily affect "valuation" ... but,
to alot of us that just think they are fascinating, awesome and spiffy, the value
placed will seldom affect the worth.

There now ... I'm going back into my little hidey-hole ... don't shoot me.

Peri Shumard-Craig

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: