Re: Fw: Meteorite "worth"

I worked for awhile in an assay lab here in AZ. (loved it, by the way!
Wish the shop hadn't closed!).  Interestingly, folks with tiny little
weekend placer claims were THRILLED to find even the most minute trace
in a sample ... while larger concerns wouldn't even bother ... just more
grist for the slag-heap. Worth is highly subjective, and although it can
effect Value in the "demand" aspect, it is unfortunate when the converse
becomes true. Apples and oranges ... but both are still fruit.
Heck ... I remember that rock shop in Prescott Valley when I lived up
there, and was astounded by the low prices! Also worked in on of the
shops in Prescott, and was appalled by the high ones! Folks is folks,
and that about says it, I guess. For my money, I'd still invest in land
... preferably land with lotsa meteorite! But that's probably why I'm
broke!
Peri

STEVEN R. SCHONER wrote:

> >Hello Steve,
> >
> >Steve, have you ever thought about becoming a gold dealer?
> >

> Not really, but in my philosophal studies of *worth*, the subject
> of gold I have found is like the tip of an iceburg in the psyche of
> man.
>
> But I will say this about gold, if I had money to *invest* that is
> where I would put it.  Unless man can produce it at less then $270
> per/ounce then it is at rock bottom now.  Investors in the long term
> look for low risk.  When the price and risk are low, you buy-- and
> when the heard finally turns in your direction, then you sell high.
>
> That is how smart investors make money.
>
> But for me, gold is an interesting object study in how we as human
> beings value things.
>
> Interestingly, I have in the past offered to trade meteorites for
> gold.  Oddly, I had very few takers, as it seems those who have gold
> *value* it more than the paper money in their pockets, or the
> meteorites that I have offered.
>
> Something deeply rooted in the psyche, I suppose.  Something to do
> with that *subjective* notion of *worth*.
>
> Steve Schoner
> AMS
>
> >Steve Arnold
> >
> >----------