Meteorite "worth"

I too have tried to stay out of this discussion about the "value" or
"worth" of meteorites.  Being aware that there are many of you on this list
that have an enormous passion for meteorites, I will admit that I also have
a passion for them.  However, the only way I'm able to collect them is to
place a dollar value on them for buying/selling /trading purposes.

In this micro universe I call my office, I decide what the value of
meteorites are.  Weither I'm buying, selling, or trading, I ultimately put
the value on the meteorites I deal in.  It's really quite simple.  If the
asking price is too high, I don't buy it.  If the offered amount is too
low, I don't sell it.  In trades, it is always my intention to get the
better deal weither it's in the fomr of dollars, business positioning or
any number of untold motives.  Anyone that operates differently is not
going to do well in this business or any other for that matter.

So, with that in mind, here are the values of certain meteorites from my
office.

Dimmit  .50 - 1.50
Allende  4.00 - 10.00
Sahara L6?  1.25 - 3.50
Gibeon slices  .30 - 1.10
Gibeon spheres .28 - 1.25
Tulia  .80 - 2.40
Canyon Diablo  .27 - 1.50
Odessa  .17 - .75
Sikhote-Alin  .50 - 2.75
Gold Basin NFS - (John B. knows what I mean)

And the list goes on and on.  These are actual low and high prices that I
have bought and sold these specimens for in the past 3-4 years.  I will
always buy good specimens for the lowest price I can get - AND - I will
always sell meteorites for the highest price I can get.  I've had a client
or two that insisted on having a piece of my own shelf and it has cost them
dearly.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here......just voicing my opinion.

My $8.00/gram worth,

John Gwilliam

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: