Re: Meteorite origins and Tru-Value

It's aging well at five years old, but the best reference I've seen about
Mars' meteorites ("SNC" nomenclature is now passe') is Harry McSween Jr.'s
"What we have learned about Mars from SNC meteorites." (Meteoritics, vol 29,
#6, pp 757 - 779).  This work will lead you to nearly every paper ever
written about Mars' meteorites. All of these can be procured by request from
your local library.

The "Reader's Digest" version of that could be my two-part article on "El
Nakhla" starting in the May 1998 issue of Meteorite!  It was impossible for
me to write this without delving into other meteorites and without describing
the methodology and processes necessary in "fingerprinting" the origins of
meteorites in general. Having lost a few braincells over the years, I assure
you that it's written in a prose that's not too difficult to understand.

Lastly, although it certainly is possible to superficially admire the
"beauty" of a meteorite specimen, I can't possibly conceive of truly
realizing the profound importance of nearly every rock that falls from the
sky without doing the homework,  reading the papers put out on any particular
specimen by those meteoriticists we all know and love. Locating, reading and
archiving the papers on each specimen I own multiplies the enjoyment I
receive from my collection. It also helped me realize the true "worth" of
these rocks - priceless.

Kevin Kichinka
Fort Myers, Florida

Archives located at: