Need clarification on El Hammami

To The List;

I would like someone to please clarify something
for me.  I purchased a specimen of El Hammami
recently and I am confused about when it was
actually discovered and what country exactly.
The piece I got says it was a fall and the date
was January 19 or 20, 1995.  This same info
is given on the website from whom I purchased this
meteorite, as well as the locality being Western
Algeria.  Now, I have seen on another dealer's
website that El Hammami was a fall dated
August 10, 1997 in Mauritania, Africa (actually,
I've seen this date on more than one dealer's site).

Was El Hammami seen to fall in 1995, but
the actual meteorite not found until 1997 (for I
understand that the terrain is very rugged and
extremely hard to navigate being in the El Hammami
mountains), or is there some other confusion factor
evident in this discrepancy?

My geography isn't very good in that part of the
world and I don't have the time to research where
Mauritania is in respect to Algeria, or if Mauritania is
actually a part of Algeria, but I suspect that may be the
case.
But anyway, I would greatly appreciate any info on this
confusing issue.

Thanks in advance -

Sincerely,
Mal

P.S.  The dealers I'm referring to in this are very prominent and
         well respected in the meteorite community - I'm not talking
         about some of the wall or unknown entity here.

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: