Re: Monopoly and Institutional Arrogance (Humor/Sincere Mix)

Hi Bill and listees

I noticed my name bieng mentioned and don't quite understand the reference.
It sounds to me like you think it's a better thing to hoard my finds than
to share them with as many as possible primarily the scientific community
?? If so where would you propose that I put them or do with them ??  Make
some butt ugly jewelery and pay people to wear them or sell them to someone
to hoard ??The purpose of my post was to thank a bunch of people for their
help and to warn any other donors of potential problems . FYI on all
domestic donations I sent a UofA press release and specific data as to
exact find locations ,I didn't even wash them off so they weren't
contaminated ,if they wanted to test them for whatever ??
On another note ,  while talking with other instututions about donations I
was told by more than one that donations of meteorites used to be very
common !! But are now a  rare occurance ?? (HUH)
If it's my humor that bothers you , take a chill pill and email me in the
morning !!!!

Lighten up
John Blennert

----------
> From: Bill Peck <bpeck@uwyo.edu>
> To: meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com
> Subject: Re: Monopoly and Institutional Arrogance (Humor/Sincere Mix)
> Date: Tuesday, April 06, 1999 11:35 PM
>
> I must chime in.
>
> I appreciate your light humor Elton, but this is an interesting point.
>
> Universities have an awful track record of keeping track of their
> meteorites.
>
> The Lafayette (in a parallel thread) is a perfect example. John
> Blennert's recent post on his donations is another example of
> Institutional arrogance and irresponsible behavior when it comes to
> meteorites.
>
> When I first looked at the University of Wyoming's meteorite display
> last year, I noticed the descriptions were lacking. The labels were
> "stony meteorite", "iron meteorite" etc. The curator indicated that no
> records existed for the specimens. Fortunately they were handled by a
> curator of a much smaller institution...Glen Huss of the American
> Meteorite Lab. With these Huss numbers and help from Blaine, I was able
> to tell them where their rocks came from and produce proper labels for
> them.
>
> When it is time for me to give up my collection it will go to one
> interested individual at a small institution, certainly not a large
> institution. They are far to valuable to disappear into uncaring hands
> that do not appreciate them.
>
> Bill Peck

> Archives located at:
> http://www.meteoritecentral.com/list_best.html