Re: Mars again

I concur in the conclusion that the same fall dates is just coincidence.

Isn't it the case that to have a stream you go through at a certain time of each
year requires a fair amount of material to be distributed in an ellipse that
intersects the Earth's orbit at those places?  I can understand a small particles
from a comet that make up such a stream for annual meteor showers, but how could
you explain kilogram-class falls from a putative SNC stream?  Seems improbable
even if they were dated the same, which they're not as Ron points out.

Ron Baalke wrote:

> >As far as the two martian meteorites falling the same month and day could
> >be be dealing in a double impact
> >on Mars in two areas of the planet with simular orbits that happened to
> >fall different years when things were right?? Just a thought, though I
> >don't know how you could prove this other than cosmic exposure age while in
> >orbit.
>
> Chassigny has a cosmic ray age of about 10 million years.  Zagami has a cosmic
> ray age of about 2.5 million years.  I think this rules out that they
> came from a simultaneous double impact on Mars.
>
> Ron Baalke

> Archives located at:
> http://www.meteoritecentral.com/list_best.html
>
> For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: