Native Americans and Meteorites - Part 1 of 6

Jeanne wrote:

> I was also wondering if your book mentions anything about Native
> American usage of Canyon Diablo irons for tools, amulets or other
> spiritual items.

Hello Jeanne and List,

Now, here is what I culled from BURKE:

BURKE J.G. (1986) Cosmic Debris - Meteorites in History, pp. 223-225:

Thus, there is now considerable doubt that the black stone of the Ka'ba
is a meteorite. Whether or not the stones worshiped by the Greeks and
Romans were meteorites is also a question, since none of these objects
have survived the centuries. There are only the considerable number of
legends. In contrast, archaeologists, explorers, and farmers have found
about a dozen meteorites of fragments of meteorites in North America in
circumstances which indicate that they were worshiped, venerated, or at
least prized, but for most, no legend exists. Two of these are
pallasites; the rest are irons. What is intriguing is that for most, the
degree of corrosion gives evidence of a very long terrestrial age,
meaning that the falls occurred thousands of years before Indian natives
populated North America. The Morito iron, which the Indians of
Chihuahua, Mexico, venerated in pre-Columbian times, probably fell
within the last two thousand years, according to Buchwald, and may,
therefore, have been witnessed. There are only a few clues as to why the
meteorites were venerated, and one can only surmise why the natives
believed that the objects in question had fallen from the sky.

Best regards,

Bernd

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: