Best Metal Detector for Meteorites?

Hello List,

I have been investigating this metal detecting thing for several weeks now
and have gotten mixed advice.  I live in Northern Michigan where hot rocks
are prominent.  I will be searching for meteorites ONLY.  I would like to
swing the detector as fast as possible without passing by a target.
Lightweight would be nice.  Bob Haag tells me that he prefers Fisher's
"Goldbug".  Other professional coin and relic hunters seem to think that a
gold-hunting device is improper.  The TM-808 two box system I mentioned in an
earlier post will not work because of the metal rod in my leg :-(  (Curse
that Southern Blvd.)  I am at a loss here.  Will those of you that use a
metal detector to hunt meteorites come forward with your reviews and bewares.
 Also for any gold hunters(goldmaster?), does your gold machine crossover
into hunting meteorites?

It finally happened... Angie kicked "Rocks From Space"  off of the bed.   So
we sleep on the floor now.

George Nicula

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: