Re: Best Metal Detector for Meteorites?

In a message dated 4/8/99 4:34:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, master@ionet.net
writes:

<< George,
 I use a White's Goldmaster 4/b.  I like it over the fisher GB. Stay away
 from Bounty Hunter MD's.  They use a motion sensing setup that is not
 effective on meteorites.   I have used the white's successfully @ Gold
 Basin, where most of the others fall flat on their coils, due to soil
 conditions.  The GM3 & 4 allows you to compensate for mineral-rich soils,
 and can operate on different freq's (so they don't interfere with other MD's
 in close proximity).  The difference between the GM3 & GM4 is that the GM4
 has a 3X/5X signal boost switch for deeper/smaller detection.  I reccommend
 the hip mount version -vs- the wand version as it is less stress/weight on
 your arm.  'specially if yer waving it 8-10 hrs a day.  the chest mount is
 an add-on to the hip version and by FAR the best set-up I have seen.  Also,
 use headphones -vs- the speaker.  The speaker amp uses more battery power
 and in the ever-present wind, you might miss small/deep objects. The GM
 series MD's are also GREAT at catching gold!  Even little flakes!  As a test
 I used the gold foil, no less, from a pack of cigerettes; buried it exactly
 12" down, and it overloaded the meter!

 The TM-808 is great unit if you want to detect an object larger than a pint
 can of paint.  The industrial big brother to it is the same with the
 exception of having a 20 ft soil penetration.  But it will MISS small items.
 The cave detect mode on it actually works better than the metal detection.
 In just the right kinda soil/rock/sensitivity settings, you can catch
 crystal pockets and fault cracks.

  In case you missed my earlier GB hunting post, the best way to find one
 with a MD; is to wave it over one!

 Sorry to hear that you're sleeping on the floor, AGAIN!  Well, at least ya
 got a good book to read! >>

Hello Dennis and List,

This is exactly the kind of information I am looking for.  The local White's
dealer seemed to think that a gold-specific detector would be the wrong
route.  Yet he has never used or sold one!?  Now, I definitely lean towards
the advice given by both yourself and Bob H.  BTW, that was a useful tip
regarding the headphones, I will surely heed it.  I would still like to hear
from others.

Thank you,
George Nicula

Archives located at: