Re: Best Metal Detector for Meteorites?

Hi All

If you want the best !! I MEAN IF YOU REALLY REALLY WANT THE VERY BEST ?
This detector is capable of finding meteorites with very little visable
metal at a shallow depth, and could pick up a 10 lb iron easily at 2 feet .
It's probably one of the lightest and easyest to swing and ground balance .
I mean you can find gold nuggets the size of fly poop in the worst
mineralized soils !!! Hell they even named it after me !!!!!!  If your
serios about hunting meteorites you need a Goldmaster by Whites . I
currently own 2 Goldmaster 11 's  2 goldmaster Vsat's and one goldmaster 3
. Any of the goldmaster detectors with the salt ground setting are the best
for the job.
I prefer the GM3 I use the chest mount harness and the 14"coil (gold max)
and Koss earphones . ALWAYS ALWAYS USE EARPHONES if your affraid of snakes
get hip boots  but always use earphones or your walking away from small or
deep targets . That is the cats meow !!! The goldmaster 4 is also a good
machine but get the one with the belt mount box (removable box) ,it gets
heavy very quickly when its all on one arm . I think the gold bug 2 is a
simmilar good  machine . All other coin ,relic and auto groundbalance
machines will leave the meteorites behind .

Someone mentioned hot rocks ?? Thats what you want to be hearing !!! Thats
what most low iron stones will sound like !!!!!!!!
If anyone needs info on settings on there goldmasters let me know !!!

Happy Huntin
John Blennert

----------
> From: Dennis Schneider <master@ionet.net>
> To: excell@concentric.net; meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com
> Subject: Re: Best Metal Detector for Meteorites?
> Date: Thursday, April 08, 1999 4:45 PM
>
> Steve,
>
> the white's TM-808 is the consumer version with a 4 ft depth range.  The
> CBP2 is the industrial version of that unit with a 20 ft depth range.
Both
> of these unit miss small objects, but work GREAT on large ones!  There is
> photo of it here:
>
> http://www.whitescatalog.com/indust.htm

GM4
> > has a 3X/5X signal boost switch for deeper/smaller detection.  I
> reccommend
> > the hip mount version -vs- the wand version as it is less stress/weight
on
> > your arm.  'specially if yer waving it 8-10 hrs a day.  the chest mount
is
> > an add-on to the hip version and by FAR the best set-up I have seen.
> Also,
> > use headphones -vs- the speaker.  The speaker amp uses more battery
power
> > and in the ever-present wind, you might miss small/deep objects. The GM
> > series MD's are also GREAT at catching gold!  Even little flakes!  As a
> >test
> > I used the gold foil, no less, from a pack of cigerettes; buried it
> exactly
> > 12" down, and it overloaded the meter!
> >
> > The TM-808 is great unit if you want to detect an object larger than a
> pint
> > can of paint.  The industrial big brother to it is the same with the
> > exception of having a 20 ft soil penetration.  But it will MISS small
> >items.
> > The cave detect mode on it actually works better than the metal
detection.
> > In just the right kinda soil/rock/sensitivity settings, you can catch
> > crystal pockets and fault cracks.
> >
> >  In case you missed my earlier GB hunting post, the best way to find
one
> > with a MD; is to wave it over one!
> >
> > Sorry to hear that you're sleeping on the floor, AGAIN!  Well, at least
ya
> > got a good book to read! >>
> >
> >Hello Dennis and List,
> >
> >This is exactly the kind of information I am looking for.  The local
> White's
> >dealer seemed to think that a gold-specific detector would be the wrong
> >route.  Yet he has never used or sold one!?  Now, I definitely lean
towards
> >the advice given by both yourself and Bob H.  BTW, that was a useful tip
> >regarding the headphones, I will surely heed it.  I would still like to
> [...]

Archives located at: