Re: Close-Call Asteroid Coming

>This would be like another Tunguska, wouldn't it?
---
No, 1999 AN10 is in the PHA category and about 1 km in diameter.  It
would do major damage if it hit the Earth.
Ron Baalke
---
Ron,
	I am confused. You do NOT consider Tunguska "major damage?"
	The 65 MYA dynosaur exterminator (as well as about 65 to 75% of all
life on earth) was extimated to be 6 km in diameter.
However, 1 km has "only" a very small fraction of the mass of a 6 km
body.
	Personally, I consider Tunguska to have caused ultra major damage (what
was it? Flattened 10,000 square miles?) - however, it was in a nearly
unpopulated area - it certainly would have entirely obliterated any
major city on earth. However, relative to a 6 km diameter body, 1 km is
"relatively" "small." "Major," yes, but still significantly less so than
the impact of the 65myo Yucatan impact.  So, what IS the estimated
impact ?
	Best wishes, Michael

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: