Bolivia results (e-mailed back in the USA)

Before ending this "travel thread" about our meteorite hunt/mountaineering
trip, I want to apologize for any grief caused to anyone by the HAPPY.EXE
virus that somehow became included in my messages.  I did not attach anything
to my letters from Bolivia.  It was difficult enough just typing them on the
Spanish oriented keyboards I was using.  The commas, quotes, "@" sign, a
million things were in different positions or were created by pressing a
secondary "alt" key with a "F"(unction) key simultaneously.  In all three
cities I wrote from, I needed the help of the one in charge to simply "send
mail" because the way to do it it was unclear.  Even they often got an error
message.  In Potosi, after spending 1 1/2 hours writing my first message, the
person in charge deleted the entire letter in the process of "sending" it and
we were unable to recover it. I had copies of all four letters printed on the
spot (another process that seemed beyond the capabilities of these "internet
cafes") and no indication of an attachment showed up on these copies.  It's a
sign of the times that I can go to Bolivia and not get hepatitus, yellow
fever, malaria or cholera, but instead become a transmitter of a computer
"virus". Please accept my apologies.

Blaine and Blake Reed, Chuck Duey and myself returned safely yesterday
although our plane was delayed for a 1/2 hour by heavy rain and lightning in
Miami.  We made two roundtrips to the Bahamas during our holding pattern.  I
made the last leg back to Fort Myers taking off in a driving rain and
flashing lightning, flying in the small commuter plane at 6,000' bumpy feet.
Before I went to bed I heard about the aircraft off the runway in Arkansas
and felt a little twinge.

Blaine (weakened by food poisoning)and Blake summited on the Sajama Volcano
(6,500m/ 21,400') at 11AM Saturday.  Chuck didn't make it past base camp as
he was sick.  One of the guides suffered from altitude sickness, had a two
day nose bleed and was staggering and stopping for 20 minute rests. Blaine
was worried that they would get frost bite.  Stephon, the marathoner,
basically was dragged to the top by the other guide. Downhill, he collapsed
in his tent and slept for 12 straight hours. Later he said that this was much
more difficult than any marathon.

Another possible "meteorite" I found for sale in the market was later ID'd by
Blaine as magnetite.   The large boulder first noted by French petrologists
might be mis-placed, but it is volcanic. Blaine and I are fairly stunned that
we return with no new specimens from Bolivia.  We really left no stone
unturned in our efforts. What we did find was a beautiful, varied countryside
populated by an interesting, friendly people.
Get there soon before it becomes "Nepal-ized".

Best regards,

Kevin

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: