Re: Great Sand Sea 012

At 09:50 PM 6/8/99 , you wrote:
>In a message dated 08-Jun-99 4:42:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>jgrossman@usgs.gov writes:
>
><< >Anybody know details of GSS 012 (classification, etc.) which would be
> >yet another Sahara find, either 1998 or early this year?
>
> The Nomenclature Committee has not approved any meteorite with this
> name, nor has any been submitted to us.
>  >>

>Jeff
>
>    Is it just Great Sand Seas 012 that hasn't been approved or have no
>meteorites been approved with a GSS name?  I picked up a nice 6 gram piece of
>howardite from the Carion's in Feb.  They said the name was GSS 010.
>    By the way pics of the piece are at the following url for those when like
>to see pics.
>http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/7586/gallery/greatsandsea010h
>owardite6-0a.jpg   also 6-0b.jpg

GSS 001 - 009 are official names.  No others have been sent to the
committee for approval.  The people at the Natural History Museum in
Paris classified the last batch, but I don't know if they are doing any
more.

Carion needs to see to it that these meteorites are properly classified,
and then submitted to us.

jeff
Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman, Editor, Meteoritical Bulletin
US Geological Survey
954 National Center
Reston, VA 20192, USA
phone: (703) 648-6184