Re: NEMESIS

Hello Julia and list,
    Actually, if you look at the website for extrasolar planets, you'll find
after some catalog searching, that 6 of the 16 stars known to have planets are
binary or multiple star systems- or 37.5%! Upsilon Andromedae, which about two
months ago was disclosed to have three planets, is itself catalogued as a
multiple star system with a sunlike star, a red dwarf, and a close
spectroscopic binary!
    Two of six other systems suspected to have planets are also multiples,
which includes Proxima Centauri, the closest known star.  The late Robert
Harriman(?) of the Naval Observatory proved in the 1970's that planets can be
stable around binary stars.  Now, the planets  need only to be actually
observed and not determined from statistical analysis.
    As far as Nemesis is concerned-I'm working on a hypothesis that the sun
does indeed have one or more companions with a 13 million year periodicity,
leading to a climax at 65 million years on an evolutionary extinction scale.

Randy M. Steiner

jjswaim wrote:

> Hello Michel, Phil, Bernd, Louis, List,
>
> I was under the impression that recent thinking and evidence show that a
> binary star system could not have accompanying planets. In fact, we aren't
> even looking for planets around binary stars, only single star systems like
> our own.  (Naturally, I forgot
> what the reasons and evidence are for why this is now thought to be the
> case.)
>
> At any rate, the result of this thinking and evidence would either:  1.
> preclude any such companion star for Earth's Sun, or,   2. if there is a
> companion star,
> then the current thinking and interpretation of data is incorrect.
>
> The third option would be that we don't actually exist.  We just think we
> do, due to some massive etheral ego created by a severe anomaly in the
> electro/magnetic realm.  What??
>
> Cheers,
> Julia

> Archives located at: