Re: chondrule questions

B. Boldman wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I have a couple of quick questions, time consuming replies
> are not necessary. First, I have a copy of Meteorites by
> Heide and Wlotzka. Great book, but on page 130 a coin is
> used (German, I think) for size comparison of the chondrules
> in a slice of Allende. What size is the coin?

Yes, this is a (now somewhat outdated, with that special Max Planck
motif) German 2 Marks coin measuring 26 mm in diameter. So the scale of
the photo reproduction is 1/1.06 and the gorgeous Allende slice shown
there is slightly larger in reality than it appears to be on the photo.

Regarding maximum chondrule size, someone else may know better. I have
seen real big ones in Parnallee, Allende and others, more than the
6 mm, which is the maximum diameter I observe in a piece of my own
modest collection, which is actually a chondrule hole in another piece
of Allende.

There surely is some statistics on it out there.
May be Bernd is the one who has the exact figures again...

Alex
--
Alexander Seidel        My location on planet Earth
Dankersstrasse 22       N 53.5932  E 9.4683  6m asl

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: