Re: chondrule questions

Hi Brian and list,

Last year I got a partslice of Julesburg from Matt Morgan which has an oval
chondrule measuring 11 x 16.5 mm -- by far the biggest I've ever seen. You
can see a photo of it here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~piper/julesburg.jpg

Does anyone have an opinion as to how unusual chondrules of this size are?
Why are most chondrules as small as they are? If they were once molten
droplets, why didn't they coalesce into (much) larger sizes than we
commonly see?

Best regards,

Piper Hollier

At 19:55 11-06-99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi List,
>
>I have a couple of quick questions, time consuming replies
>are not necessary. First, I have a copy of Meteorites by
>Heide and Wlotzka. Great book, but on page 130 a coin is
>used (German, I think) for size comparison of the chondrules
>in a slice of Allende. What size is the coin?
>
>What size are the biggest known chondrules?
>
>Thanks,
>Brian Boldman
>
>----------
>Archives located at: