Re: list policy poll

Hi List,

The list is what we make it (or don't make it). My personal opinion is not to
respond to items that I feel aren't related to the topic. Whether it be someone
out in left field with some conspiracy idea or some arrogant ego maniac dealer
trying to get a rise out of members on the list.

Some topics might seem off  topic for some while they are related to the science
of meteoritics. The cover of the journal of Meteoritics states Meteoritics being
the study of: asteroids, comets, craters, interplanetary dust, interstellar
medium, lunar samples, meteors, meteorites, natural satellites, planets,
tektites, origin and history of the solar system.

If everyone on the internet begins to post ideas totally unrelated to this list
then the list would lose its appeal to most of its members. The bickering and
bashing that sometimes goes on here has caused a number of people to drop off
(who I personally have talked to in different areas of the country) who had an
awful lot to offer on the subject. I see nothing wrong with policing, whether it
be by non answering of unrelated questions or asking those posting (preferable
in private) that they have the wrong forum. Yes, everyone is entitled to an
opinion and we don't want to dictate or restrict free speech but we do want to
maintain a quality forum for the discussion of meteorites and the related field
above for everyone's enjoyment.

Even though we are passionate about some of our believes (or the believes of
those we have read), we should still show common curtsey and be as polite as
possible even if we don't agree with someone else's viewpoint on the list. I do
like Bernd's way by posting articles of the related ideas an allowing us to form
an opinion. If you don't agree then post some information of your own showing
your believes. One of the problems is with the fast pace of scientific ideas and
old outdated ideas and theories. One has to stay on the cutting edge to be well
informed in this information age. That is why the list is a nice way to learn
and keep informed by a great resource, its members. Sorry about the soapbox
speech. Lets keep the list to the utmost quality.

--AL Mitterling

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit:

Follow-Ups: References: