Re: Extinctions and impacts

Hi EP,

>> My gut feeling, for what it is worth, is that while the K/T event was
>> probably due to a giant impactor, the other mass extinctions probably
were
>> not.

>think that if you check with the Cambridge Conference
>Archives maintained by Bob Kobres on his web site,
>you'll find that every mass extinction has now been
>linked with contemporaneous impact crater(s).
>more...

I am aware of various claims of crater-catastrophic events but, to be
honest, the scientific data are shaky, to say the least!

>> The lack of recent extinction episodes is consistent with an evolving
Earth in which geo-catastrophic events
>> decline with time as the Earth settles into a state of equilibrium.

>It may also be that most of the "debris" left over in
>our solar system has finally acreted,

True.

>but I wouldn't bet my life on it, or any one else's for that matter.

Oh, I don't know. I could think of one or two people ;-)

Phil Bagnall
www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: