Re: JPL and Open House

>I forgot to thank Ron and JPL for the outstanding open house two weeks ago.
>Once again Ron's meteorites were on display at several locations.

Thanks Larry.

>He had several Southern Ca. locations (WOW) including a new find,

Just by chance, all of the California meteorites in my collection were
found in the Southern California area.  They include Pinto Mountains, Neenach,
Ocotillo and Needles.  Two older ladies got quite excited when they
saw the Needles meteorite, and it turned out they were from Needles.
The new find was found in the Mojave Desert this year by a colleague of mine,
and is currently being studied at UCLA (there will be a paper coming
out on it).

I had 3 displays setup in the 'Small Bodies' exhibit.  The California meteorites
were in one display, another display had a piece of Peekskill (hit car),
Claxton (hit mailbox), Mbale (hit buildings), and small fragments of
Zagami and Nakhla.  I had a 35 pound Gibeon sitting out as well which
people could touch, and encouraged them to try to pick it up, and watched
their surprise on their faces when they tried to do so.  When I informed one
little boy that the meteorite had fallen out of the sky, he replied,
"Well, no wonder. It's so heavy".

>and of
>course the great Martian slices.

Out by the Mars Yard, I had my Mars meteorite display setup at the
Mars Sample Return booth: Zagami (6 grams), Nakhla (0.3 grams),
Shergotty (0.4 grams) and Chassigny (0.2 grams).

Ron Baalke

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: