Meteorites are just rocks

What's all the excitement about meteorites? Maybe there's just a lot of
enthusiastic hype about selling and keeping-up-with-the Jones's. 'My
Gibeon's more gnarly than yours.' Someone tell me why you think its
worth giving meteorites a second thought. What makes them click for
*you*?

Rare? Hundreds of tons have been identified. There must be a thousand
times as much sitting out there waiting to be found. Doesn't sound so
rare.

Few reliable source fields or methods to retrieve them?  Modern
acceptance of their nature came late but then lot's of meteorites showed
up with farmers, and Nininger...  then there was Antarctica.  Then
Sahara.  Think the new places and ways of extracting them are at end? I
doubt it.

Valuable?  Why?  Are they an industrial ore? Are they prettier than gem
quality stones? Do they teach us how to grow more crops? Scientific
value maybe? Can you prove any have fossils from elsewhere? You mean we
have to send a probe to check that out? Could have thought of that
without meteorites.

So a meteorite is a stone that fell to ground later than sooner. The
Earth is just one big meteorite.

How important is it that this H5 has chondules this size, or that H5 has
a different color matrix? You've seen one H/L/5/6 you've seen 'em all. I
want to hear why that's wrong. So there are new meteorite types found
now and then.  What's so special about a brachinite anyway, has it
changed our picture of the solar system? Never heard of one from another
part of the galaxy.

Perhaps you like meteorites because you think they look wild? Maybe you
like fusion crust and think it is the neatest thing?  Maybe I think it
is waste surface that been's destroyed.  Maybe you like being able to
slice them thin and show off lots of surface area and features?  Maybe I
think they're more apt to deteriorate all in the name of show.

So Tut wore LDG and had a dagger. We can make nicer tools, and a lot of
ornanments today. Tektites and meteorites carry some special meaning
beyond the casual scientific, beyond the immediate sales price, and
(maybe even) beyond the sheer joy of being different.

I know meteorites are more than  Pet Rocks circa 2000 to members of the
list. I'd like to hear more of the stories "why", more of the reasons
for caring.

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: