No Subject

 There are many variables including the percentage of cloud cover, precipitation viewing distance etc.  But a trained FLIR observer can detect / discern some pretty small features, over some good distances,  given a third or fourth generation viewer as compared to the early surplus equipment.  I remember talking to someone one time about a bank of thermal viewers places out like telescopes with fisheye lenses.  In theory, a computer-monitored thermal viewer would be able to sense a meteoroid past retardation and all way to the ground  where a light telescope would lose sight when the incandescence ceased.

Incidentally, at short distances a thermal viewer can even look thru clothing, so if you try this, dress accordingly.  A few years ago,  Sony produced a CCD chip which was sensitive in the IR bands below human vision... Used in camcorders, It was dubbed by collectors as the X-Ray camera for obvious reasons. The camera was soon pulled from shelves, but those which made it into the market have become highly desired collectibles, for whatever reason....

In another discussion, I'd like to bring up a milimeter radar as a potental sensor for scaning terrain as it can detect and differentiate among various compositions.  In a sense, a long distance metal detector.

Regards,
Elton Jones

GeoZay@aol.com wrote:

> I'm probably the last person of many who have already thought of this, but
> after watching some video of various pilots seeking out military tanks using
> infrared goggles or binoculars, has anyone here tried looking for iron
> meteorites with similar equipment? The iron tanks glowed from the heat it
> gave off at night and appeared to be easily noticed. It would seem that
> someone could scan various isolated terrain such as mountains, desert sands,
> dry lakes etc and see the heat emitting from iron meteorites if they were
> present?
> George Zay

> Archives located at:
> http://www.meteoritecentral.com/list_best.html