Infrared meteorite search

J.B. Goleman wrote:
>  Hi George, Michael and List:  While I'm far from being a
> thermodynamicist, and agree with Michael, it seems to me that there's another factor that could produce a meteorite's  infrared "signature" and lead to its recovery by the method proposed by George.
>	 A black fusion crust would permit a newly-fallen meteorite to absorb more heat radiation from the sun than would be absorbed by lighter-colored country rock. Therefore, after a bit of basking in the sun, such a meteorite should, after dark, appear some degree lighter to an appropriately-equipped searcher - assuming that it hadn't completely buried itself. What do you folks think ?  Joel  ....
---------
Hi Joel & list,
	Well, my idea is to show up within 12 hrs of a large fall of Eucrites
in 1/2" of snow.
	The point is, if the black fusion crust stands out from the terrestrial
rocks (which would have to be the case, or, the inferred would ALSO pick
up the terrestrials - which would also obsorb more heat -and dissipate
it longer) then, THEY WOULD ALSO STAND OUT IN THE DAY TIME ! Therefore,
the whole infrared trip is unnessessary.
	This does not, of course, address "weathered" specimens (MUCH more
common in "the field") which nearly ALWAYS look similar to at least many
of the "native" rocks - or even the dirt, itself.
	Don't get me wrong - I do NOT mean to be a "nay sayer" - I would LOVE
to discover ANY aid to finding specimens in the field - I may be THE
most experienced person in the field that has only found ONE specimen -
a very dubious distinction, to be sure - I would LOVE to change that -
find myself fantacizing about the Sahara - with the ONLY stones being
meteoritic - and visible to the unaided eye for MILES ! (almost
certainly NOT how it is).
	Best wishes, Michael
	Best wishes, Michael

Archives located at: