Re: Subscription to the meteorite list

O.K. ... Julia, you know I love you dearly, my List & Club friend (BTW, Do we
have a Name yet????????). I always think of you as warm, witty, well-spoken, and
wonderful. You've presented your case VERY well ... but I've gotta agree with
Phil. As we've seen through this debate, continued discussion threads on this
don't seem to be a deterrant, and some members are interested in what others
term "woo-woo B.S.".  So ... if you're not into it, just ignore it. Many times
there have been on-topic threads that have made my eyes glaze over (like E-bay,
and folks selling stuff well beyond my budget ... I mean, several thousand
dollars????? Don't I WISH!), but some folks are really passionate about them, so
all I have to suffer is overuse of my "delete" button, and (on the mega-buck
meteorites) a big chunk of envy.
o.k.?
Hugs!
Peri

Phil Bagnall wrote:

> Hi Julia,
>
> >However, you have interjected a false assumption in your initial premise to
> >suit your needs and then argue the point as if we are in a public forum
> with
> >any topic open to discussion.
>
> I think you have got to be realistic. We are a public forum in that members
> of the public are allowed to add their comments to the list. The list may be
> privately owned, it may well have its own rules, but if you allow members of
> the public to comment then you have got to be prepared to accept that some
> of them will miss the point of the list and will ramble on about
> inappropriate subjects.
>
> At the end of the day the real question is what our response should be. We
> could try to censor the list, but anyone who really wanted to be a nuisance
> could simply use a false ID, a free e-mail address and continue to badger
> the list.
>
> In my experience - and I'm sure in yours too - if you ignore people they
> tend to go away. After all, what is the point of posting a view if you don't
> get any response?
>
> > and these
> >boundaries are flimsy and easily penetrable for discussion.  I'd still like
> >to see a wider range of multidisiplinary discussions, but I'm not going to
> >push it.  At least we can now include astrophysics , astrobiology, solar
> >system formation, etc. which used to be a no-no.
>
> One the one hand you seem to be saying that we have a set of rules that we
> should all stick to and ban anyone who does not, and yet on the other hand
> you are saying that we should bend the rules if and when we feel like it.
> Come on Julia, you can't have it both ways!
>
> All best,
>
> Phil Bagnall
> www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk

> Archives located at: