Re: tektite coloration

Hi Calvin and List
The most recent work tends to point to LDG not being tektite but impact
melt or crater glass. The dark colored layers in it often have the
fingerprint of the impactor's composition in them. This is very different
from tektites that are formed without any of the impactor's material being
incorporated within them. Water content of LDG is a little higher than
either splashform or Muong Nong tektites in general. Coloration differences
of tektites and LDG would seem to come from their different origin. Even
though both are from cosmic impacts.
Jim Tobin
The Meteorite Exchange
www.meteorite.com
P.O.7000-455, Redondo Beach, CA 90277 USA

----------
> From: Calvin Shipbaugh <calvin@rand.org>
> To: meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com
> Subject: tektite coloration
> Date: Monday, June 21, 1999 5:24 PM
>
> I have a Libyan Desert Glass, of the variety with the very dark
> material, that has a blue streak (not green) in it.  I find that unusual
> for any tektite. Explanation? (It's not part of a rainbow effect.) Have
> others seen similarly offbeat tones in tektites?

> Archives located at:
> http://www.meteoritecentral.com/list_best.html
>
> For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit:
> http://www.meteoritecentral.com/mailing_list.html