Re: Test for nickel and murcury

John,

Cole-Parmer sells testing kits for the field.  Its called a single use swab
kit.  All you do is wipe the swab onto the surface and look for color change.
Results in 30 seconds.  They are available for Nickel and Mercury.

Cole-Parmer  (800) 323-4340    E-Mail: info@coleparmer.com
                                                   Web: www.coleparmer.com

Catalog number P-81951-04   8 for $44.95  Listing for 99/2000 Catalog

John Gwilliam wrote:

> Hello All,
> I made a post a day or two ago looking for a quick field test for detecting
> nickel in meteorites.  I haven't received any replies yet but I'm still
> hoping that whoever made the original post a few months back will repost it.
>
> I'm also curious if anyone is aware of a relatively simple test for
> detecting murcury in meteorites.  As much as we all handle specimens on a
> daily basis, it would seem prudent to know whether or not we were exposing
> ourselves to the toxic effects of murcury.  As most of you probably already
> know, regular contact with murcury can have some nasty effects on the human
> body.  For years, dentists suffered from medical and mental problems such
> as depression, mood swings, panic attacks, just to name a few.  The term,
> "mad hatter" came from the practice of hat makers in 19th century England
> using murcury to block hats.
>
> This might also explain the behavior of many of us on the Meteorite List.
>
> Insert smiley face here.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> John

> Archives located at: