Re: Mathilde - part 1 of 2

"Asphaug and his colleagues began with a
peanut-shaped asteroid with three different structures: solid rock, a
pair of solid rocks, and a rubble pile. The team hurled house-sized
rocks at each asteroid and measured the devastation.
Asteroids made from solid rock shatter into smaller pieces, but they
don't always disperse. They may break into several large pieces or form
a cluster of debris. Asteroids made from a pair of rocks seem to resist
impacts because one of the rocks absorbs most of the shock from the
impact. And rubble-pile asteroids seem even less affected."

Hello Bernd, List -
	I'm glad someone else came across the same study I read and commented
about at the beginning of this month. I'd found it in an old Discover Mag
from Sept 98. I thought it was rather interesting as a possible reason why
we get large showers of many stones on occasion. That they entered as a
single large, but loose, mass and separate in the turbulence with the usual
spalation etc... Take care...

					Jamie Platt

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: