Re:(Meteorobs)Derived Mass via Magnitude (was Astrobio/ Visual perception/LEBs)

Thanks Jim and Nick!
My post is cross list because I am calling on both lists for assistance.

Now if I get my brain engaged right,  it would seem that with a
magnitude I can derive wattage.  With wattage,  I can convert to joules
and with joules I can get a matrix of velocity and mass combinations at
a given power level....  This is Great!!!  Does anyone know the joules
generated by one gram at one kilometer per second?    From Piper's post
a while back I have something in terms of calories.

Can someone help me work this backwards to derive mass or at least
joules? (from which I could put together a table of mass/velocity
combinations associated with a given magnitude).

Piper wrote:
>> Kathleen Mark's excellent book "Meteorite Craters" has a very
enlightening table on page 53, with data borrowed from a study of the
kinetics of meteorite impact made in 1924 by A.C. Gilford. Here is some
info excerpted from that table:

Kinetic energy of meteorite (calories per gram):

1 mile per second           310
5 miles per second         7745
10 miles per second       30980
20 miles per second      123900
40 miles per second      494700>>

Regards,
Elton Jones

Jim Richardson wrote:

> [...]

> >Ma = 6.8 - 2.5*log(La)
> >
> >or La = 10^((6.8 - Ma) / 2.5)
> >
> >Using this last formula gives:
> >
> >meteor magnitude, power (Watts)
> >m = 6.8,  1.0 W
> >m = 6.0,  2.1 W
> >m = 5.0,  5.2 W
> >m = 4.0,  13 W
> >m = 3.0,  33 W
> >m = 2.0,  83 W
> >m = 1.0,  210 W
> >m = 0.0,  530 W
> >m = -1.0,  1300 W
> >m = -2.0,  3300 W
> >m = -3,  8300 W
> >m = -4.0,  21,000 W
> >Note also that a meteor is a moving point source (from our perspective),
> >and is much more likely to be noticed than something diffuse and not
> >moving.  Recall looking for those faint "fuzzies" in a telescopic
> >eyepiece...those faint stars stand out much better than the Owl Nebula or
> >something like it.  Although Dave's proposed critters are a bit closer (45
> >miles = 72 km), and would need only about 1/2 the power of the meteors
> >above (as a concentrated point source)
>
> Using these figures  from Jim to very crudely calculate the biomass needed
> to produce David's bioluminescent clouds
>
> Assuming a typical type of earth bioluminescent system which yield one
> photon/ ATP molecule
> (ATP is {roughly} the cellular energy carrier)
> Using the conversion factor for watt to photons of visible light used in
> studies of photosynthesis
> 1 W =  4.66 microEinsteins-1 =2.9X10^18 photons (1 Einstein=1 mole
> photon=6.23X10^23photons)
> Taking a barely visible extended source as resembling M33 in brightness and
> size roughly mag6 and 1 degree across.
> A magnitude 6 source is radiating 2.1 watts or 6X10^18 photons/sec.
> So the bioluminescent organisms are transforming 6X10^18 molecules of ATP
> per second.
> A rough calculation suggests about 10^5 molecules of ATP per typical
> bacterial cell
> Assuming that the cells turn over their ATP at a rate so they can spare an
> amount equal to all their content for light production every second the
> number of cells involved would be 6 X 10^13
>  weighing roughly 10 g.
>
> Assuming a cloud this size has about 1km cross section and giving it a 1 km
> depth this implies a microbe content of 10^7 microbes/cubic metre weighing
> about 10 microgrammes.
>
> This gives a testable feature to the bioluminescece hypothesis.
> Since these clouds would be sedimenting down to lower altitudes does the
> measured particulate content of the highest altitude measurements made match
> these sorts of levels or even approach within a factor of 100, a reasonable
> error margin for these very crude calculations?
> Over to you Dave.
>
> Nick
> Nick Martin, Bonnyton House, By Ayr, Ayrshire KA6 7EW ,Scotland, UK.
>  Latitude 55 24'56" Longtitude 4 26' 00".

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: