Re: Glass bombs impactite or tektite

-----Original Message-----
From: Gaetan Cormier - Meteorites & Tektites <shattercone@videotron.ca>
To: meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com
<meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Friday, March 19, 1999 9:01 PM
Subject: Glass bombs impactite or tektite

I discuss this in my recent two part tektite origin article in the Feb &
March issues of Rock & Gem.
 The problem is, R & G switched two photographs on me, running two that I
thought had been killed.  And on one of them, the Ries glass, they changed
the caption, making it ridiculous and erroneous!  They are running a
retraction in the May issue.  The black blob in that photo is NOT
"high-quality" glass!  If it was originally part of the original tektite
family glass projectile that made the crater, it became highly contaminated
by terrestrial volatiles and rock melts and fragments during the impact.  In
my original caption (the one that wasn't used), I was merely trying to point
out that it is highly unusual to find a rock still so glassy after 14
million years (unless it was originally tektite glass).  Terrestrial glasses
should be devitrified, or mostly devitrified, as are now all the terrestrial
original impact glass particles that may be in the surrounding material.
    Did you see my article?  Who are the "some" you are referring to?
    Are your bombs really still glass, or now basically devitrified glass?
I've never seen any loose ones that still were very glassy.  Have any photos
of yours?
    Please send me your list.
    I have corrected the copies of my article that I have, and will snail
mail you a copy.  Can mail others corrected copies too, but will need
addresses.
Darryl Futrell
3129 Hacienda Blvd., #306
Hacienda Heights, CA 91745
I have a couple of Glass Bombs from Ries Crater in Germany, I always heard
>that they were a type of impactite, but apparently somme say that they are
>tektites.
>
>Can anybody clear me out on these beautifull object?
>

>Gaetan Cormier - Meteorite & Tektites
>555, 28th Avenue #401
>Deux-Montagnes, Quebec, Canada
>J7R 6H3
>
>Tel.: (450) 472-1128
>
>e-mail: rlotte@interlink.net or shattercone@videotron.ca
>

>To obtain a list of meteorites and other impact material please send your
>request via e-mail.

>Archives located at:
>http://www.meteoritecentral.com/list_best.html
>
>For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: