Meteorites from Alpine Glaciers ???

Nicholas Gessler schrieb:

> Hello all. Has anyone heard of, or can anyone supply references
> to reports of, meteorites being found in the moraines or tills of
> glaciers in the Alps as a result of mechanisms similar to those in
> Antarctica? I'd appreciate any information...
> Thanks, Nick

Hi Nick and List !

Here is what I got in my database:

1) Barcis, PAL
    Pordenone, Italy
    46° 06' N / 012° 21' E
    Find 1950

Recognized among moraine deposits of a glacial valley near Barcis, a
village in the Friuli region. The find was sawn into two parts, one part
of 1650g was deposited in the Museum of the Scuola Mineraria of Agordo,
and later lent to the Italian Centre for Meteorite Studies. The total
mass is not known, Suppl. to Cat. Italian Centre for Meteorite Studies,
Univ. Perugia, 1971.

2) Langwies, H6
    Canton Graubünden, Switzerland
    46° 49' N / 009° 43' E
    Find 1985, May 19

A partly crusted mass weighing 16.5g was found in a glacial moraine,
olivine Fa18.6, Meteor. Bull., 1986, (64), Meteoritics, 1986, 21, p.309.

3) Orimattila, H4
     Mallusjoki, Socken, Finland
     60° 35' N / 025° 35' E
     Find 1974

One weathered individual of 1.872 kg was found at about 1m depth in
moraine gravel, Met. Bull. 53, 1975; Meteoritics, 1975, 10, p.156.

Best wishes,

Bernd

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: