Re: Search meteorites in desert

Lin Xiaohui wrote:
>  Who have the experience of searching meteorites in desert? Whether it is easy to find meteorites in desert? please let me know.
>  Thanks, Lin Xiaohui
---
Lin & Listees -
	I have searched in the desert, in the mountains, etc. In my experience
- and from everything Ihave heard from everyone who has found meteorites
- it is NEVER "easy" (though, I SUSPECT it was relatively easy in
Holbrook immediately following the great fall of 1912. I would also
suspect it is VERY easy IF you happen to be in the middle of an
extremely dense fall of Eucrites with 1/2 inch of fresh snow on the
ground - but I never heard of that happening).
	If it were "easy" (anywhere) they would be MUCH cheaper! I have
searched at least 7 different strewn fields. The one I spent the most
time in was Correo, as I knew someone who found one there - and my
nephew found one the FIRST day. It took me over 56 hours of ACTUAL time
searching Correo to find one specimen (MANY additional travel hours &
expenses). It is 11.18g. If my time were worth MINIMUM WAGE, that would
make Correo worth 26.50 per gram IF you don't count travel & expenses.
	I have also heard of people pulling into the Gold Basin strewn field,
opening the car door and picking up a specimen right at their feet - but
I sure wouldn't count on it. I've been there 3 times, always with at
least one other hunter & once with 6 - no one I was with found ANY.
	The stories Steve Shoner has told me about hunting Glorietta lead me to
believe he is GIVING that stuff away at $8/g.
	Anyone elso on the list know of ANYWHERE it is "easy" to find
meteorites? (if so, LET'S GO!)
	Best wishes, Michael

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: