Re: Search meteorites on Mars

>I have been thinking about meteorites on Mars recently. For one, a sample
>return mission would probably leave a meteorite behind in favor of a Mars
>rock!

Why do you say that?  The goal would be to try to collect as many different
type of rocks as possible.

>Second, that icky red dust
>would always be getting all over your meteorite hunting cane.

True, particularly if a dust storm passes through.

>One more thing I have wondered: why not have a Discovery-class Mars lander
>outfitted with a camera pointing up?During the day, you have that camera as
>a part of the meteorology package, doing cloud triangulation, etc. At night,
>it gets some long-exposure images for meteor counts and triangulation, plus
>some good PR.

Why not submit a proposal? Anybody can submit a Discovery proposal.

>Does Mars have its own unique meteor showers. I bet! But have instruments
>ever measured them?

Mars probably does have meteor showers, but none has been detected yet.

Ron Baalke

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: