Re: Asteroid 3753 (1986 TO)

>According to this article , the asteroid's peculiar horseshoe orbit is based
>upon the very interactions it has with the Earth/Moon system and the Sun.
>I concluded that these interactions were based on gravitational influences
>at given positions of the four objects stated in the report

It does, but this is not called shepherding.  It is called orbital
resonance.  Neptune and Pluto are in a 3:2 resonance, and because of this
resonance will never get close to each other.  Asteroid 3753 and Earth are in
a resonance, which will keep them from colliding with eath other.

>Further, I used the term Shepherd as correlating the existence of this
>asteroid as being a possible reminent of planetary rings around the Earth.

Since the asteroid is not in orbit around the Earth, it cannot be a shepherd
satellite.  There is no evidence the satellite was ever in Earth orbit.
In fact, Asteroid 3753's orbit does not intersect Earth/Moon's orbit.

>Do you see that this asteroid is suspiciously (possibly) a
>reminent of a ring around Earth?  Correct me where I am wrong:-)

IF the asteroid was in Earth orbit, and IF there was an Earth ring, then
it would be a shepherd satellite.   Unfortunately, their orbits
don't intersect, so it does not look like the asteroid was ever in
Earth orbit.  There is no evidence linking the asteroid to an Earth ring.

Ron Baalke

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: