RE: Search meteorites on Mars

Gene Marlin wrote:
>>I have been thinking about meteorites on Mars recently. For one, a sample
>>return mission would probably leave a meteorite behind in favor of a Mars
>>rock!

Ron Baalke replied:
>Why do you say that?  The goal would be to try to collect as many different
>type of rocks as possible.

and I reply:
This from a man whose personal collection is replete with Mars meteorites
and comparatively devoid of ordinary chondrites. ;-)
I'm sorry, Ron, but if I were the first geologist on Mars, and if getting
off the surface and back to Earth limited me in what I could take back, I'll
be tossing out the port hole the H5 and keeping the Martian sedimentary
rock!!  First, I'd make sure there was no fusion crust on that sedimentary
rock specimen (remember Stuart's nightmare about bringing back an Earth
meteorite??) - - but wait, just how much fusion crust will develope during a
short flight through Mars tenuous atmosphere???    ~8(
Bob V.