Re: Searching for meteorites in deserts

In a message dated 3/22/99 2:30:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lxh@hitsat.hit.edu.cn writes:

<< Who have the experience of searching meteorites in desert? Whether it is
easy to find
 meteorites in desert? please let me know. >>

Hello Lin and List,

Lin, I believe that hunting meteorites in general is an easy thing to do.
Your luck in finding any meteorites will certainly depend on where you are
looking.  For example, if you are trying to find meteorites in a wooded area
or an area with thick ground cover  you may be unsuccessful.  And you may get
lucky.  On the other hand, if you are searching an area with sporadic
vegetation like a desert, you will definitley raise your chances of finding
something.  So in comparison, deserts are an easier place to find meteorites
than any other place except the vast ice fields of Antarctica.  With a little
persistence and a lot of patience I think you will do well.  Hunting
meteorites is easy, finding meteorites can be hard.  Even though some(not all)
think hunting meteorites is a waste of time, I happen to think that there is
an overabundance of stones just waiting to be discovered by a creative and
eager meteorite hunter like yourself.

Hope this helps,
George Nicula

Archives located at: