Re: Carbonaceous Chondrites?

Peri Craig schrieb:

> Hello All ~
>
> O.K., right at the outset, let me state the obvious unequivocably: I
> am a newbie at Meteoritics. Please be gentle with my ignorance. :-)

Hi, Peri L. (Newbie) Craig !  :-)

> How do you tell the difference between a CI,CM,CV,CO,CK and CR? What
> do you look for? Do I use a microscope? Chemical testing? And what
> about the other Chondrites?

Most of us will open O.R. Norton's book "ROCKS FROM SPACE" to tell the
difference.

> And now for the most obvious question ... is there some sort of
> beginner's
> field book (I'm sure there must be dozens!) that would help to i.d. a
> Chrondite
> (of whichever type) from a stony meteorite? Or anything else for that
> matter?

See above. I personally recommend buying O.R. Norton's book as soon as
possible. It is a "must" for beginners and advanced amateurs as well.

> It truely pains me to sound so ... green ... but right now I honestly
> don't know a "Eucrites from a Chassignite from a Rumuruti Chondrite.

"Green" is a beautiful color, .... errr, right ? :-)

Best wishes from Germany,

Bernd

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: