From: Peri Craig [mailto:Peric@extremezone.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 1999 1:35 PM
To: METEORITE-LIST@meteoritecentral.com
Subject: Carbonaceous Chondrites?

Hello All ~

O.K., right at the outset, let me state the obvious unequivacably: I am a
newbie at Meteoritics. Please be gentle with my ignorance. :-)

How do you tell the difference between a CI,CM,CV,CO,CK and CR? What do you
look for? Do I use a microscope? Chemical testing? And what about the other
Chondrites?

And now for the most obvious question ... is there some sort of beginner's
field book (I'm sure there must be dozens!) that would help to i.d. a
Chrondite
(of whichever type) from a stony meteorite? Or anything else for that
matter?

It truely pains me to sound so ... green ... but right now I honestly don't
know a "Eucrites from a Chassignite from a Rumuruti Chondrite.

I've been checking the internet sites, but seem to get more confused as I
go!
Makes me question the wisdom of my university professors in letting me in,
much
less graduate!

Thanks for any/all kind input!

Peri L. Craig