Re: Asteroids feel the Force

>Based on Mike and Ron's post regarding the Yarkovsky effect,  I hereby
>declare that
>it must apply to Asteroid 3753, even though it is no longer in the belt;
>that it unevenly heated, was shifted into the inner belt, collided with
>other(s) and was flung out to Mars who mistook it for an incoming tennis
>ball and slammed it back at us.

Yes, it applies to all small asteroids.  However, Jupiter's gravitational effect
on the asteroid belt applies as well, and is the bigger factor of the two.
If you doing long term calculations of an
asteroid's orbit, you going to have to incorporate the Yarkovksy effect.
For short-term  calculations, the Yarkovksy effect is so small it can be
ignored.

Ron Baalke

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: